February 21, 2008
February 1, 2008
Leave a Comment
1. Kylie Minogue – 2 Hearts: I’m reserving ‘X’ to be the best album of 2008, since it doesn’t get released in the US until then. However this song was everything I never hoped it would be. Kylie known for her cutting edge dance-pop, kicked off her new project with a glam rock dancefloor stomper, that the first time I heard it I thought,
what the fuck? And then every time since that I’ve been singing and rocking (and WOOing) along.
2. Rihanna – Umbrella: This song had 1 of the most unique vibes for any R & B/pop song this year. With all the guitars and noise, it was either gonna tank miserably, or become unescapable. Too bad she followed it up with ‘Shut Up & Drive’.
3. Beyonce – Get Me Bodied: I’m a sucker for a good party song. And this isn’t just a good party track, it’s 1 of the best ever.
4. Justin Timberlake – What Goes Around…: I loved this songs for personal reasons, but also because it’s 1 of the most well-crafted breakup anthems ever. And then when the interlude kicks in about 4 minutes into it… chills down my spine!!
5. Timbaland – The Way I Are: Poor grammar choices aside, Timbo KILLED it with this 1. It’s like a bunch of robots had a dance party in the middle of the hood. And this was the soundtrack.
6. M.I.A – Boyz: This song works me on so many levels. World music meets hip-hop meets gay runway meets Baltimore club meets dance. Then they have an orgy. And this song is the baby.
7. Kanye West – Stronger: Out of nowhere, everyone’s favorite rapper tapped an unlikely host for a sample. Daft Punk. The results? MAGIC!
8. Amy Winehouse – Rehab: The first 10,000 times I heard it, it was cute, unique, & catchy. And then radio picked it up. And it’s taken me months to enjoy the song again.
9. Tori Amos – Bouncing Off Clouds: Despite my mixed feelings on the album, this song is a career highlight for the crazy redhead I love so much. If only some remixes were cut for this song, it could have reached even higher heights.
10. Eve – Tambourine: The album may never get released at this point, & apparently this song underperformed? Apparently the powers that be don’t live in Baltimore, because everyone I know loves this song, & barely an hour went by without it being on the radio.
11. Bjork – Earth Intruders: This album underwhelmed me too, but this single was a true return to her pop/dance roots for Bjork. More beats Bjork, please!?
12. Diddy – Last Night: Diddy has been kind of a laughing stock in my book for a while, but this song was a total slam dunk. Keyshia on the hook, and then Lil’ Kim on the remix… reunited and it feels so GOOD!
13. Pink – U + Ur Hand: I thought for sure her last album was dead in the water, and then radio picked up this song, and Pink’s career was resuscitated. Cuz who can’t relate to a sassy kiss-off song!?
14. Gym Class Heroes – Clothes Off!: I’m a sucker for a good 80’s sample. And a fun party song.
15. Sophie Ellis-Bextor – Catch You: This lady makes music that someone how is classy, yet still makes you want to dance. Welcome back, dear!
16. Maroon 5 – Makes Me Wonder: I doubted if they’re return would be successful, then their lead single was upbeat, and hearkened to excellent 80’s pop-rock. And Adam is cute. Good combo!
17. Keyshia Cole with Missy Elliott & Lil’ Kim – Let It Go: As if the team-up of these 3 couldn’t be great enough, the song is based around a BIG hook. Hell yeah!!
18. Mason vs. Princess Superstar – Perfect Exceeder: The best mash-ups make the 2 songs sound like they were made for each other. And my ears were made for this single!
19. Tracey Thorn – Grand Canyon: One of the most gorgeous songs of the year. Even the remixes didn’t hurt the song at all. Tracey, everybody loves YOU here!
20. Armand Van Helden with Fat Joe – Touch Your Toes: Wouldn’t expect Fat Joe to pop up on a dance song. Wouldn’t expect to love a song this repetitive. Skip the radio edit and go straight for the LP version!
Lil’ Mama – Lip Gloss, Fall Out Boy – Thnks fr the mmrs, Common & Lily Allen – Drivin’ Me Wild, Nelly Furtado – Do It, The Gossip – Listen Up, JoJo – Anything, Kelly Rowland – Like This, Lily Allen – LDN, Joss Stone – Put Your Hands On Me
January 17, 2008
Leave a Comment
I was stoked to find out that Jeremy Word has remixed the new Janet single, ‘Feedback’. It’s awesome, and this is definitely a DJ to keep your eye on. I’m gonna post a few of his other mixes so you can find out why I dig his style so much!
December 7, 2007
Okay, so if you weren’t around at the beginning of 2007, you may have missed how the Grammy’s are basically like my SuperBowl (just like Kanye West). I can’t wait to watch them, & even stay up past my bedtime to enjoy the whole long affair! So I’ll delve into categories & my picks closer to the actual ceremony. For now, here’s the categories & nominees that interest me most!
Record of the Year: Irreplaceable – Beyonce, The Pretender – Foo Fighters, Umbrella – Rihanna, What Goes Around – Justin Timberlake, Rehab – Amy Winehouse
Album of the Year: Echoes Silence Patience & Grace – Foo Fighters, These Days – Vince Gill, River – Herbie Hancock, Graduation – Kanye West, Back to Black – Amy Winehouse
Song of the Year (Songwriter’s Award): Before He Cheats (Carrie Underwood), Hey There Delilah (Plain White T’s), Like A Star (Corinne Bailer Rae), Rehab (Amy Winehouse), Umbrella (Rihanna)Best New Artist: Feist, Ledisi, Paramore, Taylor Swift, Amy Winehouse
Best Female Pop: Candyman – Christina Aguilera, 1234 – Feist, Big Girls Don’t Cry – Fergie, Say It Right – Nelly Furtado, Rehab – Amy Winehouse
Best Male Pop: Everything – Michael Buble, Belief – John Mayer, Dance Tonight – Paul McCartney, Amazing – Seal, What Goes Around… – Justin Timberlake
Best Pop Duo/Group: Make A Memory – Bon Jovi, Home Daughtry, Makes Me Wonder – Maroon 5, Hey There Delilah – Plain White T’s, Window In The Skies – U2
Best Pop Collaboration: Steppin’ Out – Tony Bennett & Christina Aguilera, Beautiful Liar – Beyonce & Shakira, Gone Gone Gone – Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, The Sweet Escape – Gwen Stefani & Akon, Give It To Me – Timbaland & Nelly Furtado & Justin Timberlake
Best Pop Vocal Album: Lost Highway – Bon Jovi, The Reminder – Feist, It Won’t Be Soon Before Long – Maroon 5, Memory Almost Full – Paul McCartney, Back to Black – Amy Winehouse
Best Dance Recording: Do It Again – Chemical Brothers, DANCE – Justice, Love Today – Mika, Don’t Stop The Music – Rihanna, LoveStoned – Justin TimberlakeBest Electroni/Dance Album: We Are The Night – Chemical Brothers, + – Justice, Sound Of Silver – LCD Soundsystem, We Are Pilots – Shiny Toy Guns, Elements of Life – Tiesto
Best Alternative Album: Alright Still – Lily Allen, Neon Bible – Arcade Fire, Volta – Bjork, Wincing The Nights Away – The Shins, Icky Thump – White Stripes
Best Female R&B: Just Fine – Mary J. Blige, When I See You – Fantasia, No One – Alicia Keys, If I Have My Way – Chrissette Michele, Hate On Me – Jill Scott
Best Male R&B: Woman – Raheem DeVaughn, BUDDY – Musiq Soulchild, Because of You – Ne-Yo, Future Baby Mama – Prince, Please Don’t Go – Tank
Best R&B Duo/Group: Same Girl – R. Kelly & Usher, Disrespectful – Chaka Khan & Mary J. Blige, Hate That I Love You – Rihanna & Ne-Yo, Baby – Angie Stone & Betty Wright, Bartender – T-Pain & Akon
Best Rap Solo: The People – Common, I Get Money – 50 Cent, Show Me What You Got – Jay-Z, Big Things Poppin – TI, Stronger – Kanye West
Best Rap Duo/Group: Southside – Common & Kanye, Make It Rain – Fat Joe & Lil’ Wayne, Party Like A Rockstar – Shop Boyz, Int’l Players Anthem – UGK & Outkast, Better Than I’ve Ever Been – Kanye West, Nas & KRS-1
Best Rap/Sung Collabo: I Wanna Love You – Akon & Snoop Dogg, Kiss Kiss – Chris Brown & T-Pain, Let It Go – Keyshia Cole, Missy Elliott, & Lil’ Kim, Umbrella – Rihanna & Jay-Z, Good Life – Kanye West & T-Pain
Best Rap Album: Finding Forever – Common, Kingdom Come – Jay-Z, Hip Hop Is Dead – Nas, TI vs TIP – TI, Graduation – Kanye West
Best Musical Show Album: Chorus Line (2006 Cast), Company (2006 Cast), Grey Gardens, Spring Awakening, West Side Story (??)
Producer of the Year: Howard Benson, Joe Chiccarelli, Mike Elizondo, Mark Ronson, Timbaland
Best Remix: Delerium – Angelicus (Andy Moor Full Length), Public Enemy – Bring The Noise (Benny Benassi Sfaction Remix), Junior Boys – Like A Child (Carl Craig Remix), Pink Floyd – Proper Education (vs Eric Prydz), Kaskade – Sorry (Dirty South Mix)
Overall, some people got the credit they deserve, but there are a LOT of missing names on the list. I’ll get into that later though. Stay tuned!
October 19, 2007
Leave a Comment
Nelly Furtado – I Am
This leaked out right before ‘Promiscuous’ & ‘Loose’ came about. Not sure if it was intended for that album or ‘Folklore’ or just some random tinkering in the studio. Great track though!
Destiny’s Child – Independent Women (Calderone Radio Mix)
Another classic from my misspent youth. This cut from the ‘Charlie’s Angels’ soundtrack was a monster hit for Beyonce and those other chicks, & the remix was everywhere in the clubs! Sounds a little dated now… but still great memories!!
October 16, 2007
Leave a Comment
Modjo – Lady (Hear Me Tonight)(Original Mix)
CLASSIC!!!! Download it now! If you remember it, then you love it. If you’ve never heard it, consider this homework!
Nelly Furtado – Like
Very early demo from Ms. Furtado… she first started making some trip-hop type music, but eventually led herself to pop music. Good song though!
October 16, 2007
Nelly Furtado – Promiscuous (Indian Sunset Remix)
Pretty decent remix for Nelly & Tim’s monster hit from last summer. Cool Indian vibe going on in it, though it does sound pretty similar to other Indian influenced remixes.
Bjork – Pagan Poetry (JC Lemay QB Edit)
Bootleg remix from Bjork’s snooziest album. Not bad, basically just slides a faster paced dance beat under the original, and it works out pretty well!